The second project in my hopefully long series "Organized Things".
Previous: Tea Organized
Software — 3ds Max, V-Ray, Photoshop
Making The Objects
I started with a basic rectangle shape and modified it incramentally via the modifyer stack. Then I collapsed the final shape into an editable mesh with a turbosmooth modifyer for render time (to speed up viewport performance). However, I like to keep at least one copy of the object with the full modifyer stack just in case I need to change something later.
Below is a basic step-by-step of how it was formed.
Then I made the “Innards” object, which is the inside lining of a tie. It can only be seen in the radial image (last image), since all the others only have the front of the ties in view. It’s nothing special, simple the original object scaled down with tweaking of a few vertices.
I decided to do most of the images with one formation of the ties. They were arranged in a single row, alternating the rotation of every other by 180 degrees. Then to one of them I added an FFD(box) modifier to make the folds and a cylinder to make the knot (tying an actual knot in the object would be ridiculously difficult, although it would be more accurate). I duplicated the modifier and the “knot” to match the original.
My favorite part of any project is making the materials. I'm not sure why, there's just something about them that's so enjoyable to do. Maybe it's the simple-to-use node editor, or the ability to make things realistic or how it's rare for me to screw up beyond recovery at this step. At any rate, I love making materials, and this project was no exception.
As I mentioned before, the "Innards" object can't be seen, but I did put a bit of work into the material it uses. The texture came from Poliigon.com, but I had to modify it slightly since I wanted the object to be transparent in the gaps between the threads. Ties have different tie innards with often just as intricate designs as the front, but I decided that since they will only be in one image, it wasn’t necessary to make many versions of this material.
I started inistially with the idea of making just the white/pink combination of ties, but later on I decided to do the spectrum. For this reason, the material editor got a little cluttered. As you can see below, I just gave every color it's own material.
You can see there are a lt of connecting lines in the material view. This is because I connected a Bezier Float Controller and an image to the bump, normal, and glossiness channels for each material (since they would all be the same). This let's me change the channels for all the materials as a group instead of individually.
The above image contains all the materials I used to make the images in this project. The most difficult one to make was the material for sparkly Pink & Black Ties.
Here is a closeup of the material:
The pink version is meant to simulate the material of a tie I actually own. I think got pretty close. But you decide. The black version was just a bonus.
I'm not sure. I like making these, and I definitely want to make more. I've wanted to tackle fruit for a long time now. It's just a matter of getting textures that will work. I may have to create them myself if it comes to that. It would be fun, but very time-consuming. Candy also seems like it would be fun, and probably easy as well. At any rate, I'm also willing to take suggestions... if anyone is even reading this :\